Home | The Team | Our Authors: Antony Ta (raventalon40) and Travis Yano (thickoil)


Antony Ta,Current Events,Edmonton,Edmonton Oilers,Hockey,NHL,Oilers,Sports

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

The poll is temporarily down.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

the whole story - and the last one to boot



Edmonon Oilers finally respond, here.

Puck Daddy (by Elliotte Friedman and Greg Wyshynski) update here.

David Staples Cult of Hockey update here.

And in case you are new to this whole thing, go here or here.

Also, this is the last blog entry I am going to dedicate to this issue unless (a) more information comes out or (b) a useful new perspective or outlook is available.

If I blog any more on this my hockey pals will probably bust my balls.

Elliotte Friedman puts it much more eloquently than I've read elsewhere so far. It helps to put things in perspective, whereas other members of the MSM or not-so-"MS"M have either tried to shift the blame, point fingers, or ignore the issue altogether.

The most useful, fair and objective responses/coverage regarding the issue that I've read or received from members of the MSM or from the blogosphere were from these following people:


1. Elliotte Friedman, various publications
2. David Staples, Cult of Hockey/Edmonton Journal
3. Lowetide, Lowetide
4. Matt and Andy Grabia, Battle of Alberta

The most interesting responses/coverage:

1. Robin Brownlee, OilersNation (I didn't agree with everything he said, but at least he was objective about it)
2. Grease Trap, Oilblobosphere
3. David Staples, again
4. Chris and Mike, Covered in Oil

The least useful responses/coverage:

1. Jason Gregor, Team 1260
2. I don't like to put him up here, but Wanye Gretz's latest article didn't help me make up my mind at all on the issue, though it did bring out the positive side that the Oilers are freaking 4-0 right now, and also he is still my favorite writer at OilersNation (not including Lowetide, if you include him)
3. Loxy, Hot Oil (sorry Loxy! but I didn't write a letter and I don't think it would help as much as blogging away at the issue!)
4. Marcel Mutoni, Deadspin - this guy confused the issue for a lot of people, including yours truly

One thing's for sure: I don't know why I didn't read Cult of Hockey more often before, but there's some good stuff on there. I'm a new David Staples fan.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Addicted-to-oil said...

I agree. I'm big on Staples right now. Personally I'm kinda annoyed at some of the bloggers out there right now.
I agree with the Oilers decision to ban DB that night.
The Oilers CANNOT have someone in their press box using that kind of language, and insulting the players - especially a blogger. Have you ever seen Jim Matheson write something like that? No. He's eloquent. If he has a problem with a player he backs it up with insightful journalism.

Now, I don't think Dave's piece is garabe. I like reading that stuff - but it belongs in the Bloilosphere - and the Oilers as an organization shouldn't be associated with it.

I totally think DB got a raw deal though, because clearly he didn't know where the line was - and that in no way was his fault.
Could the issue have been handled better? Absolutely.
Should we keep discussing it? Meh, I don't really care anymore. I'll go to the game and I'll watch the game. If the game's not on T.V., I'll listen to it on the radio. I'm not a big fan of live game blogging anyways.

October 21, 2008 at 9:45 AM

 
Blogger raventalon40 said...

Apparently, Staples is big on you too as seen here

October 24, 2008 at 12:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home







Layout by Antony Ta
CSS document edited from its original version by Douglas Bowman
First version: Sunday, October 26, 2008